Blog & Journal


EEA Permanent Residence Card for Living in the UK

Fayaz wassan April 29, 2017

If you are outside from the European Union Area (EEA) then you can apply for a permanent residence in the UK. You can also apply if you are the family member or an extended family member of a person who is EEA national. If the UK remains in EU then there will be no chance of status and rights of EU national to live in the UK. You can apply for a permanent residence card because it will help you in many ways.

  • If you are traveling abroad then it will be easier for you to enter in the country. You can make a quick entry.
  • You can show it to your employer that you have the right to work in the UK.
  • With permanent residence card, you will be able to get certain services and benefits from the UK government.

So if you are an extended family member then you should apply for a permanent residence card or EEA permit that is all the time valid. For people who are the carer of an EEA national, they should apply for derivative right of residence card instead. The residence card is valid for 5 years and after its expiry, you have to apply for a permanent residence card. To include each person in the application you have to pay 65 Pounds.

The Eligibility Criteria for Permanent Residence 

You can apply for a permanent residence card if you are

  • Outside from the EEA.
  • If you are a family member or an extended family member of EEA national who is a qualified person or who is a permanent residence card holder.

You are also eligible for this card if you have retained rights of residence. Many people have the question who is the qualified person so for them a person is qualified if he is working or he is self-employed. He must be self-sufficient and the person who is studying can also apply. If certain conditions are met, the person who wants to work or looking for a job can also apply.

The FAMILY Members of EEA Nationals

Following people can apply as a direct family member of EEA national.

  • The civil partner and the wife.
  • The children who are under 21 and are dependent.
  • The parents who are dependents and grandparents.

For all the people who are student can qualify only if they are the wife or the dependent child of EEA national. All other relatives will fall under extended family member category.

The Extended Family Members Criteria

There are many conditions to apply if you are an extended family member of EEA national. Some of them are listed as under.

  • The unmarried partner of EEA national proving that they are in a lasting relationship and it can be similar to marriage or the civil partner can also apply.
  • The relatives of the spouse of the EEA national. They can not apply as direct relatives.

The relatives that can apply are brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, cousins, Grandparents, grandchildren. EEA nationals can also reside in the UK as a student. If you are the relative of EEA national then you should be dependent on EEA before coming to the UK. You still be a dependent household family member. If you are facing serious health issues and you need the care of the EEA national then you can also apply on these bases. All the extended family members should have a valid permit for EEA so that they can stay in the UK. The possibility of approval of your application depends on individual circumstances and you can disqualify even if you fulfill all the conditions and requirements.

Leave a Comment

Login to your account

Can't remember your Password ?

Register for this site!