Dog bite lawsuits can be worth a lot of financial compensation. The average money payout for dog bite claims across the nation was more than $44,000 in 2019. Dog bite settlement can go up to $100,000 in cases where the victim sustains significant scarring, disfigurement, or dismemberment. However, this depends on the experience of the dog bite lawyer California and the facts of the case.
Multi-million-dollar settlements were reported in recent years for severe dog attacks that led to lifelong injuries.
- A $1.1 million settlement was awarded in 2013 in Illinois. The case involved a 120-pound Bullmastiff that attacked a 15-year-old boy after escaping the chain-link fence enclosure. The dog attacked the boy for almost 10 minutes causing severe injuries. $1.125 million was collected by the victim from the insurance policy of the pet owner. The settlement was for prolonged trauma and injuries.
- An 8-year-old girl in 2015 was severely injured by a pack of dogs and awarded $36 million by a Georgian jury. Catastrophic injuries were experienced by the girl in the dog bite attack. She had to get one of her arms amputated as well. In this case, the jury initially awarded $72 million but later reduced it to $36 million.
A lawsuit was filed against the dog owner. The owner was charged with violation of vicious dog ordinances, reckless conduct, and failure to vaccinate the pet for rabies. The dog owner was sentenced to 16 months in jail in addition to the $36 million damages penalty.
- In another lawsuit, a $1 million settlement was issued to a California woman. The case is from 2006 when a bulldog severely disfigured the victim. The woman lost a part of her lips and nose in the dog attack. She required three extensive cosmetic surgeries and suffered permanent disfigurement.
How to Prove Liability in California Dog Bite Lawsuits: To prove liability in dog bite claims, the dog bite lawyer California will need to establish that the accident took place because of negligence on part of the pet owner.
The dog bite lawyer California will need to demonstrate the following facts:
- The dog was owned by the negligent party or defendant
- Dog bite took place when the victim was on private property or in a public setting
- Dog bite caused severe injuries to the victim
- A dog bite was a significant factor behind the injury
It is important to have a dedicated dog bite lawyer California on your side whether the injuries are minor or severe. Dog bite attacks can be complicated and need the right type of representation.
Consult with an Experienced Dog Bite Lawyer Today: Dog bites are traumatic experiences that usually involve children. If you or a loved one was injured by a dog recently, you should think about seeking legal assistance. The legal team at California Wrongful Death Lawyers is here to help you fight to recover maximum damages. We understand every dog bite attack is unique. Give us a call today at 844-999-5342 or use our online contact form .