IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is the latest technology that helps the couple who have tried to get pregnant naturally but could not due to multiple reasons, to conceive.
IVF addresses multiple infertility issues with the high success rate which makes it possible to have a healthy baby.
If you tried conceiving but could not conceive, consult the doctors at the IVF Centre. They can help you decide whether IVF is the right choice for you.
Assisted Reproductive Technology Includes many methods that are suggested by the doctors to the couple who are unable to conceive naturally. IVF is one such procedure.
It makes use of a combination of surgical procedures and medicines which requires the sperm to fuse with the egg in artificial conditions of the laboratory i.e. gametes fuse outside of the body. the embryo i.e. the fertilized egg is then transferred to the uterus of the woman.
What is IVF?
Before you begin with the IVF procedure, the specialist doctor will ask you to undergo some tests. These tests are important to assess your body condition such as uterine function and condition of ovaries and the way ovaries function.
These tests help your doctor to determine the best approach for the therapy that you will be undergoing. One cycle of IVF procedure generally lasts 15 to 20 days from the starting day of your menses. It is followed by a waiting period of 15 days before taking a pregnancy test.
Steps Involved in IVF
Step 1: Stimulation
As a general fact, a woman produces one egg per menstrual cycle.To maximise the positive chance of fertilization, IVF requires several eggs. You’ll be given fertility medications to improve egg production. During this phase you should be testing your hormone levels with daily ultrasound and blood tests.
Step 2: Egg Retrieval
Retrieval of the egg from ovaries is a minor surgical process known as follicular aspiration. You will be given anesthesia and you do not experience any discomfort through the operation. Inserted into the vagina is a hollow needle using an ultrasonic guide. The needle will suck out the eggs and fluid from each follicle through suction.
Step 3: Fertilization and Insemination
At this stage, the semen samples are obtained from the male partner. A professional technician should place the sperms in the laboratory with the best-quality eggs. This is called an insemination cycle. Fertilization happens after the handling of eggs and sperms in a controlled lab chamber within a few hours. If the doctor thinks that likelihood of fertilisation of the egg is reduced and/ or very less, sperm is injected directly into the egg through intracytoplasmic sperm injection also known as ICSI.
Step 4: Embryo Culture
The physician will track the fertilized egg to ensure it develops properly at this stage. A stable embryo can spontaneously divide within 5 days. An embryo will be screened for the genetic disease at this stage if the doctor thinks that there are chances of a genetic mutation.
Step 5: Embryo Transfer
Usually the embryo is inserted in a woman’s womb three to five days after fertilization. The embryo is inserted using a thin tube commonly known as catheter, through the path of vagina and the womb. If the embryo implants in the uterus lining and develops, it means the conception has taken place. More than one embryo is inserted in the womb of a woman more often than not, which might lead to conception of twins or triplets in the majority of the cases. The number of embryos that are required is a complicated decision and it depends on the age of a woman and many other factors.
Pros and Cons
For many infertile couples IVF is the most promising alternative. The main benefits of IVF are a good pregnancy and a healthy infant.
The pros to IVF are:
- The best possible choice for the serious infertility issues. If the causes of infertility include blocked Fallopian tubes, maternal age, decreased ovarian reserve, and serious male infertility issues, couples may not have to spend their time experimenting with certain infertility therapies. IVF is the safest choice in such cases.
- Chances of delivering a healthy baby are improved. When there is a risk of going through some genetic disease, IVF preimplantation genetic screening allows a healthy embryo to be selected.
- IVF can be used on any person successfully. It can be used in gestational carriers or surrogate carriers, women suffering regular miscarriages and even in same sex couples who wish to be parents.
Cons to IVF are:
- Multiple pregnancies-this may result in more than one embryo being implanted which increases the risk of low birth weight or premature birth.
- Miscarriages or pregnancy loss- much like regular pregnancy, there is a risk of miscarriage in IVF pregnancy too.
- Ectopic pregnancy-this is a condition in which egg implants outside the uterus. 2% to 5% of IVF women become ectopically pregnant where continuation of pregnancy can not take place.
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome- Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) is the medication used to cause ovulation by injection. Ovaries can get swollen and painful during this cycle, which is called the ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Symptoms include moderate pain in the belly, vomiting, bloating, diarrhea and nausea. Within a few weeks, these signs will vanish.
- Stress- IVF can drain mentally, emotionally and financially, which can cause stress. Partner and family must provide the much needed emotional support and will help you get through the ups and downs of fertility treatment.
IVF’s success rate depends on many factors, such as maternal age, cause of infertility, history of medication and factors of lifestyle. Pregnancy rates are also not comparable to rates of live births. The success rates are recorded according to the woman’s age, according to the Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART).
- < 35 yrs of age: 41-43%
- 35-37 yrs of age: 30-36%
- 38-40 yrs of age: 23-27%
- >40 yrs of age: 13-18%
How to make a choice of the best IVF center in Jaipur?
You may have questions about the fertility services, centers, and prices. Take time to study the center that you are considering to find the right clinic for your fertility needs.
You must inquire and investigate about the clinic by:
- Speak to a representative over a phone.
- Check for the clinic’s success rate.
- Ask recommendations from an infertility support group.
- Visiting the clinic’s website.
- Book an appointment for a consultation.
Couples, whether new or old, have the aspirations of becoming parents. Many achieve this through natural processes but some require medical help too. Mishka IVF, which is the best IVF center in Jaipur, has the highest success rates and allows the couples to explore the possibilities of conception with Dr. Ruchi Bhandari along with the caring and empathetic team. Live, Laugh, Explore with a variety of possibilities that can help you get on cloud nine with Mishka IVF!